* 12/30/1922 - † 08/15/2012
The founder of the Schlegel dynasty started his philatelic career in the small German town of Stendal: little Hans-Georg began collecting stamps at the age of eight. As early as 1945, he was fortunate to buy the only known sheet of “Westsachsen 1 Pf Wz Y”. On March, 4th of 1949 he opened his first stamp store on Breite Straße 4 in Stendal.
During the Easter holidays of 1960 - about one year before the Berlin Wall was built - he left Stendal with his wife, who was pregnant at the time, and his son Dieter. After several other stops, his escape finally ended in 1963 in West Berlin, where he took over a store on Kurfürstendamm.
"Das sehe ich durch die Tüte, dass die falsch sind!"
At the dawn of the 1960s, he stepped into the public spotlight when he uncovered false overprints from Berlin. More and more, he was now summoned to testify in court as an expert. After years of being urged by the traders’ association APHV, among others, he decided to become an examiner and joined the BPP (Philatelic Federation auditor eV). His reference material and stamp collection are record-breaking; many hundreds of thousands of Deutschmarks have been invested in reference postage stamps, the stamp index and testing instruments. The examiners’ mark 'Schlegel BPP' soon became a hallmark for high reliability and he was referred to as the “pope of examiners”! In his time as the vice president of the BPP (1972-1996) he helped strengthen the position of professional examining in the German philately. After he passed the examiner’s torch to his sons Hans-Dieter and Andreas, Schlegel senior still remained present in “his” federation: He provided help and counseling in the training of young examiners and with difficult examinations.
honorary mentions: BPP, APHV,ArGe Berlin, ArGe All.Kontrollrat, Landesverband der Philatelisten Sachsen _Anhalt, Stendaler Roland.